Besides being a husband to a really wonderful lady and a proud father of two awesome sons, Arthur is the principal of Elkanah House Primary School, consisting of three campuses, in Sunningdale, Cape Town. He is passionate about effective 21st century education and has a progressive approach to primary education.
In March 2012 Arthur founded the first Twitter-chat specifically aimed at South African teachers. #edchatsa has now developed into a growing community and is becoming a significant online voice for South African teachers. He also co-founded EdTechConf – an organisation committed to coming alongside teachers and schools across socio-economic divides to assist them in understanding the role of technology in the classroom and professional development. He is also a member of the Advisory Board of the Partners for Possibility initiative of Symphonia South Africa. Arthur was selected as a founder member of the Google Educator Group initiative in South Africa and is a Google Certified Educator.
As a regular speaker at conferences, seminars and workshops both locally and abroad, Arthur is exposed to schools and teachers from across a wide spectrum of society. He believes passionately in the ongoing professional development of teachers and in the idea of teachers being life-long learners.
These are some of the events and organisations Arthur has addressed:
- uLead Summit on Education Leadership – Banff, Canada
- Lusaka International Community School
- Zambian Independent Schools Professional Development Seminar – Lusaka
- Hillcrest Academy – Nairobi
- Google in Education Summits – Cape Town & Johannesburg
- ICT in the Classroom Conference – Bloemfontein
- E-Schools Network Conference – Cape Town
- Independent Schools Librarians Conference – Cape Town
- Sweet Valley Primary – Cape Town
- Micklefield School – Cape Town
- Rhenish Girls’ Primary – Stellenbosch
- Northfield Methodist Church – Pretoria
- Community of Learning Principals – University of the Western Cape
- Centre for Science and Maths Education – University of Kwa-Zulu Natal
A list of current presentations is available here: http://headthoughts.co.za/speaking
Should your topic of interest not appear on the list, please contact Arthur with your specific requirements and he will prepare a presentation just for you and your audience.